Thursday, October 14, 2010

Bowling!

Monday and Tuesday were in-service days so there are no kiddos but I went to the school on those days and did some paper work. It was really nice to get caught up on some things.

And afterwards we went bowling! It felt like I stepped back into America. When you walked in they had arcade games and bowling on the second floor. There was TV screens with little animations when you bowled a strike or spare and automatic scoring. We also had tables and chairs to sit at. For a moment I thought I was at Hudsonville Lanes. It was kind of expensive though, about 7 dollars per game, but that included shoes.

I think I loved bowling so much because it was something I did back home. It is such an American thing to do. I can't just go to a mall or a movie theatre (even though they have one here, but they only play movies in French or Arabic) and eat an Auntie Ann's pretzel. It was great to just get away and enjoy doing something different. I'm so glad that I get the opportunity to do things like that. There are kids that live 100 yards in shanty towns that will never go into that building. These families can't even afford to send their kids to school for 3 dollars a month. Often you see situations like this on one side of the road and mansions on the other. I think 80 percent of kids that go to GWA have a driver, house maids, and nannies. It's sad because here either you are really wealthy or realy poor.

Fun Fact:

A lot of people here drink tea, not coffee. And they have a ton of cafes along the streets. There is usually tables and chairs outside of these cafes, like on the sidewalk. The chairs are all on one side of the table facing the street. And do you know who goes to the cafes? Men. So everywhere you go you see these men sitting at cafes, drinking their tea, watching everyone walk by. Some of the cafes are men only. I have seen like 3 women drink tea at a cafe. Sometimes I do see women but they are usually inside on the second floor. It was really crazy to get used to it at first. When I think of coffee shops back home I think of women getting together. Here, it is the opposite. It is just a male thing to do. I don't think I will ever go to one. Women here just don't do that.

Well, that is all for tonight! I will try to write sooner next time.

Love you all!

Kaylee

1 comment:

  1. Miss you Kaylee!!! I'm excited you're adapting and I'm praying for you!

    Emily

    ReplyDelete