Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Weekend

So I had a pretty busy weekend:

On Friday night my friend Chandel and I went out with two of her Moroccan friends. We got picked up by her other friend's "driver." Yes, Chandel's friend's driver came all the way to school which is about 20 minutes outside of Casablanca and picked us up and took us to where we wanted to go. This is how the time went. We were supposed to get picked up at 6:00pm, didn't arrive until 7:00pm. We were suppose to meet her two friends at 8:00pm, didn't arrive until after 9:00pm. Drove 1 hour and ate at a restaurant around 10:00pm. Left there around 11:30 and got back to my apartment around 12:30 or 1ish. That is a pretty typical Moroccan time for dinner. They usually eat around 10:00, on the week days! Um... I'm usually in bed around 10.

Then on Saturday morning I had a great run with a lady following the shoreline. We ran about 10.5 miles. I'm getting ready for the 1/2 marathon that I'm doing on Sunday. (say an extra prayer for me!). Then I went bowling at that place again. Great times. After that I went to a Moroccan birthday party for a 5 year old. It was crazy. The party started at 2:30 and I got there around 5ish. umm.. how can i explain it. Well, the family rented out a tennis club for it. When I walked outside it sounded like I had just stepped into a club the music was so loud. There was a bounce house and other blow up toys I'm not really sure what they were. When I was there they had a magician, clown, and an announcer guy that sang songs with the kids. They had cotton candy and a popcorn machine. A table with tea, coffee, pop, and snacks. Oh yeah, they also had a big poster of the birthday girl, Malak. At the end of the night we all sang happy birthday to Malak with firework candle things. And i was only there for the last two hours of it! Then at night I was kind of tired... so I just watched a movie with some friends.

On Sunday morning I went out to the beach with another couple, their two little kids, and another girl my age named Jenni. The couple, Zach Hillary and I went surfing while Jenni watched the kids. Well... Zach and Hillary went surfing while I splashed around in the water on a surf board. I have gone 3 times now and I can't surf for the life of me. But it is nice to be out on the water. Afterwards, I had lunch with the Deboers and another Moroccan family. They had lived close to the Deboers but a couple of years ago the husband lost his job and now they live in a one bedroom apartment. A husband, wife, and two teenage girls. This apartment has one "bathroom," a hole in the ground, with three other rooms on the floor that all have families living in them. I might be doing a conversational thing with one of the girls. She teaches me French and I teach her English. After lunch the two girls and I went to campus and we played ultimate frisbee with some other people from school. They didn't speak any English so there was a lot of hand motions. But I think they had a good time. Then on Sunday night I just crashed in my apartment.

Crazy weekend but it was a lot of fun.

Missing you all,
Kaylee

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're adjusting well ... and getting good at going with the flow. I'm sure you had a great time at the birthday party ... I'm guessing you played in the bounce house a while with the kids? Remember a few years ago when you got that stuff for our VBS? The end of the night we adults went in and it collapsed on us? I'm getting really excited for my trip - I can't wait to see you guys!

    ReplyDelete